Monday, October 17, 2011

Blog Banter 29(WIP/I'm just not sure where to go with it)

"EVE Online is renowned for it's depth. Its backstory, gameplay and social aspects are all qualities that draw players in. What does immersion in EVE Online mean to you?"


Definition of IMMERSION

:the act of immersing or the state of being immersed: as

a : baptism by complete submersion of the person in water

b : absorbing involvement <immersion in politics>

c : instruction based on extensive exposure to surroundings or conditions that are native or pertinent to the object of study; especially : foreign language instruction in which only the language being taught is used immersion>

http://www.merriam-webster.com/dictionary/immersion


Immersion. As a person who spends only a few months at a time due to finances and college education, being able to involve myself in Eve somehow becomes a interesting and somewhat difficult past time. I call it difficult because you are, in fact, without any means of interacting within the game. While many will say that immersion does not need the game, and they're right, to an extent. There is twitter and the #tweetfleet, which I have found to be a valuable asset to the socialization of Eve Online. I have met and interacted with numerous pilots that I would never have met or even heard of in game. And even better, I have been more recently getting really into a lot of the lore and roleplay aspect of the game. After tech4news.org, a recently created roleplay news group, posted their first story, I started looking at sites like the Eve wiki page. The things people do in-game are fantastically complicated and time consuming, or at least seem so.


I have been playing Eve since May 2008, when I signed up for the 14-day free trial. Didn't sub until July the same year, and have been subbing on and off since. And here I am, on Twitter, as part of the #tweetfleet, getting involved with other people from the game, and it is SO MUCH FUN!! This is what I would call immersion, and this is only one horrible example. People get so much more into this. Podcasts...hooo boy aren't those a fantastic example!

No comments:

Post a Comment